Sunday, December 06, 2015

Willie's crostini alla parmesan


To kick off our dinner project, I made a traditional Willie appetizer of crostini topped with mayo and parmesan cheese.  The recipe calls for toasting both sides of some Italian bread under the broiler.  While the bread is toasting, I made a mixture of equal parts mayonnaise and parmesan cheese.  When the bread was toasted, I added the spread and returned to the broiler until the spread bubbled and turned brown.  Elaine, Nicole and I enjoyed the crostini during cocktail hour.  Nicole and Elaine described the appetizer as "mmm yummy." When I disclosed the recipe after intense questioning,  my Greek, olive oil-preferring women recommended using less mayo and more cheese.  I ignored them and ate the rest of the plate.  The dish tided us over until Elaine served fricasseed rabbit with yellow and red peppers, a dish from Marcella Hazan.  Or as we call it at the table "Chicken." Overall, a good debut to our project that was well-suited to my culinary abilities.

1 comment:

Ed McCormick said...

I used to love that appetizer and Willie's ability to make an hors douevre out of the simplest ingredients