Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Should I order a grappa?

From Sunday's NY Times:

"That said, it is exceedingly difficult to get a reservation at Babbo, which is Italian for ''busy signal.'' Also, the restaurant's waiters are as encouraging as the food is excellent, so you tend to eat to excess. Such behavior can lead to a glass of grappa at the end of the meal. Grappa, an alcohol distilled from the skins and seeds of grapes used to make wine, is occasionally used to fuel airplanes. Its human application promises clarity but more often delivers headaches and the dull realization that you have spent a great deal more than $200 for dinner."

And to make your own beef cheek ravioli, click here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/08/magazine/08FOOD.html?

2 comments:

Ed McCormick said...

Those ravioli were pretty sick. But Molto Mario is starting to bother me. He's getting a little too cocky. His latest restaurants havent gotten as high reviews as his previous ones. He was also caught with a hot young Asian woman late at night at one of his places according to Page Six, which means it must be true! I will visit Babbo anytime, but Esca was forgettable, I left Otto hungry and poorer and have no desire to visit the similar small plate restaurant Bar Jamon. His latest is opening up in Chelsea soon. I'll get back to you on that one. Biff McCormick

Anonymous said...

Mario B. wears 2 hats: his TV hat and his restaurant hat. Frankly, my first experience at Babbo was disappointing because I was expecting "Cucina a la Nonna" (his TV hat) and I got his restaurant hat, which caters to NY yuppies. In reality I laud him as a clever business man and talented chef but not as a chef devoted to Italian cuisine (which his TV show promised.)

P.S. Always order the grappa.