Saturday, June 28, 2008

Great Meals

Interesting list but the omission of Christmas 1987 at 31 Reid is glaring.


http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/blow-out-historys-10-greatest-banquets-435763.html

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, you're right about the glaring omission but none can compare to the JalapeƱo Poppers at the Sugar Bowl.

Michael said...

Willie, I would have mentioned the infamous feast which had our bathtub filled with live lobster, but I was in diapers and consumed strained peas that evening.

John said...

I prefer Seutonius to Tacitus in his description of Nero's great meals:

"His feasts now lasted from noon till midnight, with an occasional break for diving into a warm bath, or if it were summer, into snow-cooled water. Sometimes he would drain the artificial lake in the Campus Martius, or the other in the Circus, and hold public dinner parties there, including prostitutes and dancing-girls from all over the city among his guests. ..He also forced his friends to provide him with dinners; one of them spent 40,000 gold pieces on a turban party, and another even more on a rose banquet."

The Sugar Bowl seems tame, no?

Anonymous said...

In a book I was reading this morning there was a report of a very rich, very strange French writer Raymond Roussel who ate only one meal a day. It lasted from mid-day 'til late afternoon and consisted of twenty seven courses. 27. Jackie

Ed McCormick said...

Maybe we can make ortolans for this years Kris kringle? I'll bring the buffalo sauce and blue cheese

Michael said...

Maybe the Pontiff should have looked at the restaurant receipts from his clergy before criticizing Franey and Clairborne.
Who would have thought that St. Patrick's Day would make a great meals list?

John said...

Johnny-

We can do 24 courses at Alinea the next time you're in Chicago:

http://www.alinea-restaurant.com/pages/menus/menu_tour.html

--with the wine pairing, of course!