I have always considered alcohol as an antiseptic, hence I only drank as a preventive measure. On the occasions that I may have become a little sloppy (note the language) it was simply a case of over medication. The proof of my theory: I've never gotten the flu.
This excerpt, which claims to be from the 1911 edition of Encylcopedia Britannica, may give some insight into Connie's official cause of death on his death certificate (Lobar Pneumonia. Connie entered Lincoln Hospital on Feb 1, 1918 and passed shortly after midnight on Feb 3.
"With an organism so prevalent as the pneumococcus it follows that alcoholism, diabetes and other general diseases and intoxications must render the body liable to an attack. Males are more commonly attacked than females, and a previous attack seems to give a special liability to another. The incubation period of pneumonia is unknown; it is probably very short." http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Pneumonia
3 comments:
I have always considered alcohol as an antiseptic, hence I only drank as a preventive measure. On the occasions that I may have become a little sloppy (note the language) it was simply a case of over medication. The proof of my theory: I've never gotten the flu.
Sol-
You'd have to bet that C. Shine was more than occasionally sloppy, so I'm not sure if your theory holds water.
If you haven't seen it, there is a blog about drinking at the NYT:
http://proof.blogs.nytimes.com/
This excerpt, which claims to be from the 1911 edition of Encylcopedia Britannica, may give some insight into Connie's official cause of death on his death certificate (Lobar Pneumonia. Connie entered Lincoln Hospital on Feb 1, 1918 and passed shortly after midnight on Feb 3.
"With an organism so prevalent as the pneumococcus it follows that alcoholism, diabetes and other general diseases and intoxications must render the body liable to an attack. Males are more commonly attacked than females, and a previous attack seems to give a special liability to another. The incubation period of pneumonia is unknown; it is probably very short."
http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Pneumonia
Post a Comment