Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Dealing with annoyances

I thought of several family members while I read the following article in yesterday's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/15/nyregion/15annoyances.html

Sometimes, small acts of rebellion offer big doses of relief.

"I've come to realize that I'm almost addicted to the sick little pleasure I get from lashing out at these things," said Mr. Kirk, 24, a freelance writer from Brooklyn who collects and returns magazine inserts.

When ordering a pizza from Domino's, Mr. Kirk says he always requests a "small," knowing that he will be corrected and told that medium is the smallest available size. "It makes me feel better to point out that their word games aren't fooling anyone," he said.

2 comments:

Ed McCormick said...

I havent gotten that bad, but I think its cause I dont have as much time as that guy. I may ask for one of those cell phone zappers for my birthday though. I am in full favor of avoiding open confrntation!

Brendan said...

You had no problem openly confronting the artist Christo on the pages of the Daily News!

Andy Rooney apparently ran a piece with a similar theme recently and recommended telling a telemarketer to hold on a minute when they call and ask for someone. Walk away from the phone and see how long it takes them to hang up.